Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cramping up to get the girl


I walked up to her, hot dog in hand – stuffing my face.
Have you ever been really attracted to someone, but you just can’t find the words to say? Well my young (or old) friends; I’ll share one thought I have and give an example….get a cramp.
You see – it doesn’t sound as bad as you might think. A couple of years ago I saw a cute girl that moved into the apartment complex I was in and I wanted to get to know her a little bit. My church was putting on an activity of steal the flag and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to show her my stealing of the flag moves (in hopes of stealing her heart, of course). As my best friend, TJ and I came walking to the field of play (or battle) we noticed the second thing on the list of things that always catch a man’s eye after pretty girls….free food.
“Sweet!” I said. “Let’s get some food and go play!”
After TJ and I finished our fake socialization through a crowd of people we’d never met, we headed over to the crowd of “warriors” and I saw her. I was excited to finally talk to her.
I walked up to her, hot dog in hand – stuffing my face.
“Hi!” I said. Food particles most likely showering her and breath smelling of dog. “I’m Ryan, we met yesterday in church.”
She looked at me kindly. Smiled and stated, “You know you’re going to get a cramp, right?”
“No I won’t.” I said in confidence, eating the last bite of my free meal. “I’ll be fine.”
During the game, of which she and I were on opposite teams – I flirted, I joked, and showed off my moves of how I could free people from jail….but she wasn’t having any of it.
And I got a cramp.
Afterward, I walked back with her and we talked for a while. I admitted to her she was right and I did in fact receive a cramp. I had learned my lesson and promised myself that if she and I eventually had a relationship, that I would do my best to listen to her.
She’s my wife now.
And now that we’re married, I see that it’s even more important to continually listen to each other. No matter what stage of relationship you are in. Listening brings a great aspect of patience to your relationship that you would not have otherwise. Trust me, because when you decide you don’t need to listen and you can handle your relationship without them…..
You’ll get a cramp.

No comments:

Post a Comment